Alan Briggs Profile
Business Improvement Expert and Managing Director of Dynamic Business Strategies Ltd
Accomplished, results driven business improvement expert, adviser, trainer, mentor and consultant with a successful and progressive track record, Alan Briggs is a confident, charismatic professional with a high level of commitment and motivation. Alan is a qualified leader of change with excellent communication skills and considerable boardroom level experience.
Additionally Alan’s has been a mentor working with clients under the Government New Enterprise Allowance Scheme, an initiative assisting unemployed people to start a business.
He is also a full member of The Entrepreneurial Alliance. The members of The Entrepreneurial Alliance share a fundamental and passionate belief in the entrepreneurial spirit, and it’s pre-eminence over every other issue in the making of an entrepreneur or an entrepreneurial venture.
Alan was also a founder director and company secretary of e-Business Forums Ltd. e-Business Forums Ltd. were internet technology consultants who helped businesses to profit through use of online technologies by supplying workshops, impartial analysis and advice followed by supplier recommendation. Within 3 months the organisation won a £80K project from the Regional Development Agency to deliver services under their brand. This was a three year fixed life company.
Dynamic Business Strategies Ltd is a full rounded consultancy providing business, financial & strategic planning, sales and marketing strategy and implementation, also sales and business skills training. Services include high growth start-up and existing business support, business financing including linkage to business angel investors, mentoring, coaching, training, change management and quality system development.
Other assistance includes organisation development, succession planning, franchising, performance management & management development projects, information communication technology project planning & implementation, organisational culture change & team building, social enterprise & rural business development, ‘green business’ audits and business consultant/adviser development.
With twenty years experience within the business development and support sector, Alan Briggsis an experienced director, senior manager and qualified management consultant/trainer/assessor. He has previously designed, delivered and managed business training programmes covering business start-up, growth and finance.
Alan has considerable strategic business & financial planning experience, together with an extensive sales & marketing background including new product/service development and E-commerce strategies. He possesses specialist knowledge and is a trained Business Process Re-engineering Practitioner. Alan also has strong marketing and public relations skills and experience including TV, National & Local Radio appearances.
Qualifications and Accreditations
- Durham University Business School Post Graduate Advanced Certificate in Entrepreneurship Training & Small Business Development
- Full Member of the Entrepreneurial Alliance
- Accredited GrowthAccelerator Coach
- Accredited GrowthAccelerator Growth Through Innovation Coach
- Technology Means Business (TMB) Accredited Adviser
- Small Firms Enterprise Directorate Initiative (SFEDI) Accredited Adviser
- Additional Social Enterprise Adviser Certification – SFEDI
- Support to Implement Best Business Practice (SIBBP) Accredited Practitioner
- Seax Training – RSA TCLB Awards D32/33, D34, D36
- Essex Business Centre – DurhamUniversity/ IBA Business Adviser Programmes.
- Radius 360 – Institute for Leadership & Management Level 3
- Forum 21 – Adviser Development Programme
- Professional Training Centre – Contract Law/Contract Management/Non Executive Directorship
- Dale Carnegie – Leadership Training Programme
- Dale Carnegie – Public Speaking & Human Relationship Programme
- CTDS – Commissioning Consultants, Management Development Programme.
- On Track – Project Management/Presentation Skills
- Centre for Applied Creativity – Simplex Transformation Process.
- UKTI Export Marketing Programme
- UKTI Export Market Research Programme
- Crane Davis – Investor in People Advisor Award.
Areas of Specialism
- Business Diagnostics, facilitating/writing Business Plans for all stages of development including Start-up, High Growth Start-up, Growth and Family businesses.
- Succession Planning. Franchising and Franchise systems and procedures and growth strategies. Export market development strategies.
- Feasibility studies & planning for charities establishing trading arms/Social Enterprises. Business process improvement/re-engineering including ‘Best Practice’ and cost reduction. Business process mapping and evolving procedures including for Quality Management Systems. BusinessMentor, Coaching and Training.
- Financial Analysis and planning.
- Guidance on business financing including the Enterprise Finance Guarantee Scheme and business angels/equity investment. Assistance for businesses to become ‘investor ready’.
- Development of marketing plans/strategies and tactics.
- Sales development including training, performance measurement & management.
- Social Media Marketing and Management.
Social Enterprise Development
- Business Diagnostics, facilitating /writing of Business Plans for all stages of development including Start-up, and Growth Businesses.
- Business financial & strategic planning.
- Establishment of Community Interest Companies (CiC).
- Feasibility studies & planning for charities establishing trading arms/Social Enterprises. Business process improvement/re-engineering including
- ‘Best Practice’ and cost reduction. Social Return on Investment, (SROI) mapping & process/systems development.
- Organisational change management projects
- Assistance for Social Enterprises to become ‘funder ready’ and linkage to funding and sources of loans/equity.
- Business improvement including ‘Best Practice’ and cost reduction.
- Quality system development.
- Business Mentor & Coaching and Training.
Industry Sector Experience
- Customer Services
- Health & Beauty
- Local Government
- Motor sport
- Private Sector
- Professional Services
- Public Relations
- Public Sector
- Voluntary Sector
Whether clients wished to grow or change and achieve business success or had been under performing and needed help, Alan Briggs provides cost effective assistance and maximising results. Alan has helped a wide range of clients with significant impact; this has included the following projects.
Commercial Company Projects
Alan has been working with 3 businesses seeking business angel investment ranging from £150,000 to £1000,000 two of these are start-up businesses.
Assisted an entrepreneur/inventor to obtain £350,000 business angel investment for a new transport related product, after having written their business plan. Alan then assisted the client solely establishing all systems and processes. This included product licensing, roles and job descriptions, a performance appraisal system and management information systems. Also development of a website, admin systems and aUKoffice for this manufacturing business whose plant was based inTaiwan. Most of this was all achieved whist the owner was living in the Far East evolving the product and establishing the manufacturing facility inTaiwan.
Assisted an ICT support business to restructure and redefine its market offering resulting in growth from £2m to £5m turnover in 12 months. The project included the development of a strategic business plan, new systems and processes, re-defined roles and job descriptions, a performance appraisal system and management information systems.
Worked with two management teams who wish to undertake management buy-outs one was valued at £10m.
Enabled a one person business to gain a £50,000 bank loan through the development of a new business plan.
Helped a start-up business to produce a business plan that supported a successful Government backed Loan Guarantee Scheme loan application for £130,000 and gain a competitive factoring package.
The MD of a kitchen design and installation company who wanted to grow his business but was unable to spend time with his young family. Alan helped him to evolve a strategy for growth supported by a robust business plan. The owner planned for a 20% growth over 12 months with retention of his profit margin, but also to take a holiday and more time off. Alan repositioned the business to concentrate on the higher net wealth clients. Alan also provided mentoring. The MD now works smarter not harder and his sales person and fitting team are working more effectively, they now get a very large proportion of business from recommendations and are spending less on advertising. Twelve months later at their year end, the growth achieved was 68% and a 1% increase in profit margin. The MD is now more in control, relaxed and happy. He has had several holidays and now takes an extra day off a week. In addition to projecting another 20% growth for the core business he is working on a diversification strategy.
Project managed the refurbishment and conversion of a building and relocated a 160 employee manufacturing business operating from four sites into the new building. The move had to be completed over a 4 day weekend. All of this was achieved without impact on production and charged the client significantly less than the proposal (the total project time from the initial visit to completion and move was 4 Months).
Also mentored a manufacturing B2B growth business that diversified into a consumer market.
An MD of a large construction business has contracted with Alan several times to mentor two directors and two divisional managers. Also he project managed their first ever exhibition presence at Inter-Build, training the staff, managing the stand design, marketing, graphics and liaison with print & PR companies and finally the logistics.
The most unusual client was an Ostrich farm needing a business viability report which swung the result at planning inquiry allowing permission to build a permanent home and the report was mentioned at length in the findings!
Through the personal recommendation of a board member Alan was asked to trouble shoot a large national Federation encompassing six trade bodies with their own memberships. A full organisational diagnostic was carried out including conducting all of the management and employees of each of the trade bodies and the federation. Alan produced a full report with recommendations and also carried out a presentation to the federation board. All of the recommendations were accepted and acted upon including the removal of the Federation MD. This was followed by an “away day” event designed and facilitated by Alan Briggs and attended by all of the management and employees of each of the trade bodies and the federation together with key members of the board. The away day was designed to focus on examining the purpose, key objectives and to establish a vision for each of the trade bodies and an over arching vision for the federation. Each vision was supported by key objectives with measurable outcomes and actions. The resultant action plans were turned into mini projects with staff and managers all agreeing responsibilities and tasks/timescales/measures and created full empowerment and buy in of staff. The result was a fully empowered set of organisations and a new positive, happy culture ready for the recruitment of a new MD. All of this was achieved in 4 weeks.
Social Enterprise Projects
Helped a charitable trust to evaluate the potential to establish a social enterprise and later assisted them to establish a Community Interest Company. Additionally enabled the new organisation to obtain funding to pilot a new support scheme for people with disabilities.
Was commissioned by a large Charity with a turnover approaching £22m and over 1000 employees to conduct a business review on 3 separate business units and assist the organisation to evaluate the potential for development and diversification for each unit. Also worked with the area head of service to produce a business plan for each business units together with a report providing recommendations for future restructuring and growth.
Assignment with a CiC to produce a feasibility study, business plan and bid for up to £750,000 to establish a best practice centre together other support organisations delivering services to disadvantaged client groups. This project included examining the options of buy, lease convert or purpose building the centre.